Melissa hydrosol is a wonderful solution, I remember my grandma used to massage her temples with it and she used to say that “it’s my only respite from real world”. The hydrosol is known to be very calming in nature.
The health benefits of Melissa Essential Oil can be attributed to its properties like anti depressant, cordial, nervine, emenagogue, sedative, anti spasmodic, stomachic, anti bacterial, carminative, diaphoretic, febrifuge, hypotensive, sudorific and tonic.
It is not in vein that this essential oil earned reputations by then names of Sweet Oil and Common Oil. It is because of the fact that this oil is extensively used in nearly all sorts of balms due to its soothing properties and has a sweet, pleasing aroma.
This oil is extracted by steam distillation of fresh buds, leaves and twigs of Melissa or Melissa Officinalis, as it is scientifically known. Trans Ocimene, Citronellal, Caryophyllene, Germacrene, Geranial, Geranyl Acetate, Cis Ocimene, Octanone, Linalool, Beta Bourbonene, Methyl Hepenone, Cis Hexenol, Octanol, Octenol, Copaene, Alpha Humulene, Neral, Delta Cadinene, Gamma Cadinene, Nerol and Geraniol are the chief components of Essential Oil of Melissa. Melissa Oil is also known as Lemon Balm.
It is a plant of the Mediterranean Region and has been popular as Bee Plant, the reason being obvious. But it is not the sole cause of popularity of this plant. It is famous particularly for its soothing, memory boosting and anti depressant powers, among others whose glimpses are given below.
- Anti Depressant: This property is one of the four aces of the medicinal properties of this oil. It is an effective mood lifter and anti depressant. It has been found to drive away sadness and bring joy and hope. That is why it was called “Elixir of Life” or “Nectar of Life”, way back in Fifteenth Century.
- Cordial: This means that it invokes warm feelings and gives warmth to the respiratory system and the cardio-vascular system. One can avoid frequent colds with the help of this property.
- Nervine: It is a Nervine. This means that it serves as a tonic for the nervous systems, keeping it healthy, functioning properly and strong and helps avoid nervous disorders. Problems like vertigo, nervousness, convulsions etc. can be treated using this property of Melissa Essential Oil.
- Emenagogue: Many problems related to menstruation and Post Menstrual Syndrome can be treated with the help of Melissa Oil. These include problem of obstructed menses, irregular menses, pain and extreme fatigue during periods and others such as untimely menopause, annoyance and depression after menopause etc.
- Sedative: This essential oil sedates and soothes. It is good on calming inflammations, anxiety, nervousness, trauma and shock. It also promotes sleep due to this property. It relaxes body, mind and soul and brings peace. Once upon a time, it was used to help soldiers relax and drive away tiredness.
Go through our reference links now -