Using of hydrosols is one thing and preparing your own one is another. Hydrosols are very light, mild and are substances to be handled with utmost care. When used in the right manner and with right quantity, they can be of wonderful benefits.
A hydrosol is a process of extracting aromatic oils from various plants. Herbal hydrosols can easily be made at home in your kitchen. They are a great way to up the aroma factor in your life. While you are making the hydrosol your entire house will soak up the smell and then you can put the hydrosol in a spray bottle and spray it everywhere as often as you like. Here’s how you can prepare your very own hydrosol -
- Put a 5 gallon enamel pot on the stove and put a brick in the bottom of the pot
- Pour enough water into the pot so that the water comes to just below the brick, do not completely submerge the brick in the water
- Add five handfuls of aromatic herbs to the water. You can use one herb or several depending on what you have available. Some of the aromatic herbs that can be used for making hydrosols are; rosemary leaf, sage leaf, thyme leaf, eucalyptus leaf, lavender stem, leaf and flower, lemon balm leaf, lemon verbena leaf, mugwort leaf and flower, orange peels and rose petals. All of these plants can be used in either fresh or dried form
- Put a stainless steel metal bowl on top of the brick inside the pot
- Put the lid on the pot, except put the lid on upside downward so that the top of the lid is pointing down into the inside of the pot
- Empty three ice trays full of ice into the inverted lid that is on top of the pot
- Turn the stove on low for ten to fifteen minutes or until all the ice melts in the lid, then remove the lid that is now filled with the melted ice and dump that water into the sink.
- The plant oils will have precipitated into the metal bowl on top of the brick. Be careful to not let the melted ice water drip into the bowl. Let the smell from the plant oils that have been captured in the bowl waft through your house. Take the liquid that has settled into the metal bowl and put it into a sterilized mason jar or a spray bottle. You now have an herbal hydrosol.
- Your herbal hydrosol is stable for six months to one year. Spray the herbal hydrosol around the house, in your car or use it as a bathroom freshener
Go through our reference links now -