I wouldn’t be surprised if you say that oyu haven’t heard of this hydrosol before. This hydrosol is not all that famous commercially. This hydrosol is smong the selected and secret beauty potions or floral waters of the world.
Myrtle Essential Oil is obtained through steam distillation of flowers as well as leaves and stem of Myrtle, called Myrtus Communis in the botanical world. Its main constituents are Cineol, Myrtenol, Pinene, Myrtenyl Acetate, Geraniol, Linalool, Camphene and Borneol.
This plant Myrtle has a lot to tell you of ancient Greece, as it were associated with Aphrodite, the Goddess of Love and Beauty. Further, the brave soldiers, athletes and nobles were honored with its leaves. But that was not all. It was priced due to its medicinal properties too. Let us see what ancient Greeks found in it that can benefit us too.
- Anti Septic: This property makes Myrtle Essential Oil a suitable application on wounds and ulcers. It does not let microbes infect the wounds.
- Astringent: If used in mouthwash, it makes the gums to contract and fasten their hold on teeth. If ingested, it makes the tracts and muscles to contract. Further, it contracts and pulls up the skin and helps diminish wrinkles. It can also help stop haemorrhage by making the blood vessels to contract.
- Deodorant: It drives away odor. It can be used in incense sticks, burners, fumigants and vaporizers as room fresheners as well as can be used as body deodorants and perfumes. It has no side effects such as itches, irritations or patches on skin and is not harsh on the skin either.
- Expectorant: This property of Myrtle Oil drives away phlegm, clears congestion of nasal tracts, bronchi and lungs resulting from cold and gives good relief from coughing.
- Sedative: The essential oil of Myrtle relaxes and sedates. This property gives relief from tension, stress, annoyance, anger, distress and depression as well as from inflammations, irritations and allergies.
- Nervine: It maintains stability of nerves and does not let you go nervous over small issues every now and then. It is beneficial against nervous and neurotic disorders like Alzheimer’s disease, Parkinson’s disease, shaking limbs, fear, vertigo, anxiety etc.
Go through our reference links now -