Ajowan oil is wonderful natural oil. It is used extensively in the Indian states and is a part of almost every savoury Indian delicacy. It is a great spice and is even antiseptic in nature. The oils that are used aromatherapy are in some way less beneficial than this one.
Ajowan essential oil extracted from Ajowan Seed is much valued for its -
- Carminative properties
Ajowan or Ajwain is from same family as caraway or cumin. Ajowan also known as carom / Ajave/ Ethiopian Cumin or Omam, is common spice in Indian cooking.
Ajowan seeds are often chewed on their own after a meal for medicinal value. Ajowan tastes hot and leave tongue numb for a while. Crushed or cooked ajowan leaves strong and distinctive thyme-like aroma. Oil of Ajwain seeds essential contains Thymol. Thymol constitutes more than 50% of Ajowan oil.
Health benefits of Ajowain seeds are known traditionally and it is only because of these health and medicinal benefits of ajowain seeds, it finds its place as home remedies for common ailments.
- Indigestion and related disorders: Modern lifestyles and dietary practices tend to increase flatulence in our digestive tracts. Three commonly used spices effective over flatulence are: Ajwain, Fennel seeds and Cumin seeds. In India, Ajwain seeds are used as a home remedy for indigestion. Ajwain stimulates appetite and enhances digestion. It has anti acidic properties. Regular chewing of Ajwain seeds provides relief from stomach upset and gas. Many Ayurvedic medicines use Ajwain seeds for curing indigestion and flatulence.
- Antiseptic: Ajwain is used as an antiseptic. It is used for cleaning wounds and treating skin infections. Thymol in Ajwain seeds, is known as a strong germicide, anti-spasmodic and fungicide. Oil of Ajwain is also used in toothpaste and perfumery. Ajwain leaves can be crushed and applied on infections.
- Antibacterial: Ajwain seeds is also used in prevention of bad breath. Thymol from Ajwain seeds is also used in various mouth wash. Regularly chewing of Ajowan seeds along with fennel seeds prevents bad breath.
- Medicinal use of Ajwain in Cholera: 1-3 drops of Ajwain oil is useful in cholera, diarrhoea. Water boiled with Ajwain seeds is given to check vomiting in early stages of cholera.
- Body Aches: Aroma from crushed ajowan seeds provides relief in heavy colds and migraine headaches. The oil of Ajwain is used in eardrops for earaches. Some body massage oil also contains ajwain oil.
Go through our reference links now -