As much as the name of this hydrosol sounds llike some pricey metal, the hydrosol obtained from it is actually quite wondrous. Geranium hydrosol is known extensively for its mnay healing and curing properties.
The health benefits of Geranium Essential Oil can be attributed to its properties like astringent, haemostatic, cicatrisant, cytophylactic, diuretic, deodorant, styptic, tonic, vermifuge and vulnerary etc.
The Essential Oil of Geranium is extracted through steam distillation of stem and leaves of Geranium plant, bearing scientific name Pelargonium Odorantissimum. The main components of this oil are Alpha Pinene, Myrcene, Limonene, Menthone, Linalool, Geranyl Acetate, Citronellol, Geraniol and Geranyl Butyrate.
The Essential Oil of Geranium has a lot to offer in terms of health. We can benefit from the following properties of Geranium Oil.
- Astringent: The main function of an astringent is to induce contractions. Accordingly Geranium Oil, being an astringent, makes the gums, muscles (including contraction of abdominal muscles which gives you a better look), intestines, skin, tissues and blood vessels to contract. This may be helpful in many ways. It can prevent muscles and skin from hanging loose, untimely loosening and fall of teeth, wrinkles and can even stop haemorrhage by contracting blood vessels.
- Anti Bacterial & Anti Microbial: This property does not let bacteria or microbes develop on wounds and otherwise and keeps you safe from infections.
- Haemostatic: Geranium Oil can stop haemorrhage in two ways. First, being an astringent (more specifically, a styptic), it causes contraction of blood vessels and helps stop flow of blood, as discussed above. Second, being a Haemostatic, it speeds up coagulation or clotting of blood.
- Cicatrisant: Everybody wants that his or her skin to be free from scars and after marks of fat-cracks, surgeries, boils and acne or pox. But after spending a fortune and trying nearly all the cosmetics available in the market when you end up with nothing, you really feel bad. You could have checked this had you tried Geranium Oil first. It is a Cicatrisant, that is, it helps the scars and other spots on skin to fade and vanish. It facilitates blood circulation just below the surface of skin and also helps make distribution of melanin uniform.
- Cytophylactic: Geranium Oil promotes cell health and also encourages recycling of dead cell and regeneration of new cells. This helps in the growth of the body cells as well as gametes.
Have a look at our reference links now -